December 21, 2019

Thanks to Sudheendra Fadnis for the following review

I picked up this book because the title Dangling Gandhi sounded intriguing to me. And of course, the cover page was beautifully fascinating. I am a non-fiction reader to the core, and just for the sake of change, I wanted to try fiction by reading short stories. It is the reason why I picked up this cute little book. Yes, the book was amazing and it did not disappoint me.

Dangling Gandhi is a collection of short stories written by Jayanthi Sankar from Singapore. This book is a collection of 'those were the times' kind of short stories, most of them set in the colonial era of Singapore, and in some parts of India, particularly south India. They teach readers about the subtleties of different cultures and their languages. Their daily struggles, and memorable trifles.

We should encourage authors like Jayanthi Sankar in our times as she enlightens the readers with the cultural context of different parts of colonial Asia; the knowledge which you would never gain by reading dry history books. Also, the language was very fluid and easily readable. My favorite stories are My Mother is a Feminist and the Mobile Dictionary. Mobile Dictionary, in particular, I like it a lot because my father loves his possession of physical dictionaries, and he takes pride in it. It evoked such warm feelings in my heart. All in all, a great and fantastic read.

No comments:

Post a Comment